Monday, June 26, 2006

Mom's incredible Pilaf

So tonight I am making Shrimp Paulista (see previous post for recipe) and this incredible Mushroom Pilaf my mom invented. Dear friends are coming over to keep me company as my husband is travelling and I would be likely to eat Pirate Booty and drink wine if I were just by myself!

Mushroom Pilaf:
1 cup trader joe's brown rice medley

Cook according to package instructions, substituting chicken or vegetable broth for water. This can be done ahead.

1/2 stick butter
2 cups chopped onion
6 cups sliced mushrooms (I am using white and cremini, a double box of each)
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 tsp. dried herbs (I use an italian mixture--but you could use herbes fines or just thyme, rosemary, etc.)
salt and pepper to taste.

Heat butter in a large skillet. Saute onion until soft--about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until they release their juices. Add wine and herbs and simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated. Mix cooked rice and mushroom mixture together and either serve immediately (if rice is still hot) or keep covered in a warm oven until ready to eat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home